Ruby-Duby I'll Miss you...

Today at around 11:20 I got the call that my lovely dog Ruby had to be put to sleep. This does sound sudden, as it should considering we didn't know for certain anything was wrong with her until yesterday. Ruby had been acting very strange for a few months now and even after 3 visits to the vet she was diagnosed as "healthy". I knew there was something wrong with her, but sometimes vets just don't listen to seemingly ignorant owners. Ruby had weighed between 36-37lbs her entire life and then in the past year she gained about 14 pounds, but that was attributed to age. She was not eating well in general but even more so in the last month (She never really ate well but in the past month it had dropped to 3/4 cup per day), drinking a lot of water, having difficulty breathing, very weak and lacking her usual energy (she would tire on a walk after about 5 minutes and even got out of the fence and didn't run away, it was crazy.) My mother took Ruby to the vet yesterday and even just palpating her abdomen he felt a large mass. After X-raying it he found a softball sized tumor on her spleen. I scheduled surgery for her to have the tumore removed today because somedays she is perky but most times she looks incredibly uncomfortable. I hoped it was benign but prepared myself that it was likely malignant. I visited with her on Skype last night and watched her attempt to take a banana peel from my dad and bark at my mom because she wanted some cheese. Today she went in for surgery and sadly didn't make it through. When he opened her up he found a small basket ball size tumor on her spleen that had spread and was affecting her kidneys. There was a substantial amount of blood and fluid in her abdomen and because of all these factors I had a easy yet hard choice to make. He told me that there was no way she would survive the operation because she had lost so much blood even before surgery began. Since the tumor was so large and affecting other organs meaning it was probably cancerous I made the choice to put her to sleep even before the tumor was dealt with. Even though it really was not a choice, it was still a hard thing to do. She was quite the quirky dog, but her quirks were what made her special. Here are some memories for you all. On my birthday Ruby ran away and found a dead turkey carcass and carried it around while she ran. Ruby was a husky who liked to swim and would retrieve sticks in the lake. Ruby was a world-class counter surfer. At one time Ruby actually climbed up ON the counter. One time Ruby actually took a sandwich right out of my hands. Ruby always seemed to play ignorant at fair and make me appear a horrible dog trainer, thanks girly. Ruby was fabulous at agility, she could jump so high and even spring straight up over the jump. Two years ago at fair Ruby ran out of the ring twice and tried to book it into the fair. Thankfully she was caught. When Ruby was younger she would pull me on a scooter like a legit sled dog. Ruby could jump our fence and thus we had to use an electric fence+our normal fence. Ruby loved to chase cats and squirrels and bunnies and moles. Ruby hated to eat her dog food. Ruby loved soft treats, especially cheese. When Ruby and I went on walks she would much rather walk in front than the heel she knew she should walk in. When Ruby and I went to obedience class the trainer apologized to me that my dog wasn't trained by the time she finished the 6 week class. I chose Ruby special from the litter, I tested all the puppies in the litter and she was my favorite. Ruby helped me raise 3 puppies and was always up for playing and correcting them. Ruby loved to lay on my bed back when I used to let her. Ruby loved to shred paper. Ruby loved stuffed animals. Ruby and me were perfect for each other because we were both too stubborn for our own good. We sure made an interesting team. Ruby never, ever, ever had a good recall. Overall Ruby was a very sweet but naughty dog. We knew something was wrong with her because she became obedient. :) I was 9 years old when I got Ruby and when I asked for a puppy and told my mom and dad that I'd take care of her and I actually did. I scheduled the vet appointments, I went to the appointments, I gave her heart-worm preventive and flea and tick medicine, I took her to obedience class and trained her, I showed her at the fair, I housebroke her, I kennel trained her, I fed her, and I loved her. I will say though that my family did help out, but she was my dog. I appreciate them so much for taking care of her for the past year and a half while I've been at school, they took such good care of her. Ruby thanks for being who you were. You taught me how to really train dogs. I trained you so now I'm pretty sure I can train any dog. I loved taking walks with you and telling you all about my sadness and joy. You were a friend to me for the past 9 years as I grew up and went through probably the roughest part of my life. Even when I felt like I had no friends I had you. I will miss your attitude filled howl, your hair all over my room, and your sneaky personality. Ruby I truly loved you and I will really miss you. Goodbye Ruby-Duby the past 9 years have been awesome.

Comments

  1. Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing all the great memories of Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the loss of one of your family members. Ruby was your special girl and I'm sad that you are mourning her.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Madison, what a lovely tribute and what a special dog she was! She'll always be your heart dog and her spirit will be with you forever. Hugs from another CCI puppy raiser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madison...thank you for your poignant story of your girl Ruby. We don't always take time to honor those who give us so much and who need so little from us in return. Ruby looks as if she was a loving puppy co-raiser. What a beautiful story about the pooch who grew up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I hope you'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear this. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you feel on Ruby's passing. I also lost My husky guide dog Nala to the same kind of tumor. It went undetected at her yearly well check by the vet and the tumor burst one night killing her in minutes. There was nothing the emergency vet could do for her.My Nala showed no signs of being sick at all.Our dogs are gifts from God and we only have them for a short time. All we can do is love them for the time we have them.Mardi http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts